Indian Scale Modellers
Please Login or Register for further access.
On Registering an activation link will be sent to the email ID you have registered with.
Please click on the link to activate the membership on the forum.
Thank you

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Indian Scale Modellers
Please Login or Register for further access.
On Registering an activation link will be sent to the email ID you have registered with.
Please click on the link to activate the membership on the forum.
Thank you
Indian Scale Modellers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Hello Great Modelers
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyMon May 01, 2017 3:10 pm by azuz74

» Hi there...
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 12:35 pm by Cryogenized

» model kit shops in bangalore
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 am by mrxplek

» hi everyone
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 1:19 am by Indian Bison

» Hi Everyone
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am by Indian Bison

» Have we lost patience or skill?
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:34 pm by Prabhat

» Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm by Indian Bison

» Russian Armor KV1 Heavy Turret 1942 (Trumpeter Kit)
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 pm by Indian Bison

» 1/48 Academy MiG-29A (With aftermarket parts)
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 am by newnikonian

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

build  group  

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Hello Great Modelers
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyMon May 01, 2017 3:10 pm by azuz74

» Hi there...
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 12:35 pm by Cryogenized

» model kit shops in bangalore
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 am by mrxplek

» hi everyone
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 1:19 am by Indian Bison

» Hi Everyone
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am by Indian Bison

» Have we lost patience or skill?
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:34 pm by Prabhat

» Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm by Indian Bison

» Russian Armor KV1 Heavy Turret 1942 (Trumpeter Kit)
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 pm by Indian Bison

» 1/48 Academy MiG-29A (With aftermarket parts)
Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 am by newnikonian

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them

2 posters

Go down

Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them Empty Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them

Post by Indian Bison Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:13 pm

A lot of the rookies to Airbrushing wonder what all equipment they need to start Airbrushing and the costs of the same.

You will need the following equipment.

1) Source of Air
2) Airbrush
3) Paints
4) Mixing bottles
5) Toothpicks
6) Q Tips
7) Masking tapes

1) Source of Air

The concept of Airbrush is to use compressed air to spray the paint in an even mist over the substrate or in this case a scale model
N ow the most commonly used source of air is an Air compressor. They come in all sizes and shapes and various capacities.
You can have a one like that I have an industrial grade compressor, noisy, but gives you the ability to use it for various air pressures ( 0 - 100 psi), has a huge 30L tank so once you run it for 3-4 mins, you can finish one 72 scale aircrafts and clean the airbrush as well. This disadvantage of this type of compressor is. Its noisy..very bulky.. and occupies space. I have this one as I used it for doing some trials using some random paints on helmets or various substrates.

The other one is a small miniature compressor. Generally these are pistonless and use a diaphragm to compress air. So when getting such a compressor, you should always have a buffer storage, i.e. a tank inbetween the compressor output and your airbrush. Or else the diaphragm caused pulsation of air, so you will have spurts of air burst through your airbrush and the finish of the paint will not be even.
Advantages of these compressors – they are silent.. occupy as much space as computers CPU tower, portable . These are specifically meant for Scale model painting and have pressure ranges from 0 – 40 or 60 Psi. That serves our purpose for scale modeling.

Where do I get it
Now coming to where to get them. If you have deep pockets and can afford imported ones, please order from any of the online shops.
If you are a commoner like me, you can head to Lohar Chawl, opposite Mumbai Commissioner’s office at Crawford market. Take your time, stroll through the shops, check if they have what you want. Also once you decide on something you want to buy, please negotiate hard. They offer discounts on purchase anywhere between 5- 105 of the first quoted price.

The smaller versions cost approx 5000 Rs in Lohar Chawl.. the bigger ones come in 1 - 2 HP motors, cost about 3500 -4000 Rs.. Strange huh.. the bigger capacity is cheaper.. Shocked

For imported ones, refer to the prices on the websites of various hobby shops..

Now while you are still toying with the idea of investing in the hobby.. you can alternatively take a big Truck Tube. Get the local puncture guy to make 2 valves in it,one with control, he willl help you. Go to the petrol station, or the puncture guy or to your own car puncture repair kit DC Compressor, lying in your car boot, fill air in the tube get the airbrush attached and start off.

2) Airbrush
An airbrush is a small, air-operated tool that sprays various media including ink and dye, but most often paint by a process of nebulization. Spray guns were developed from the airbrush and are still considered a type of airbrush.
How does it work
An airbrush works by passing a stream of fast moving (compressed) air through a venturi, which creates a local reduction in air pressure (suction) that allows paint to be pulled from an interconnected reservoir at normal atmospheric pressure. The high velocity of the air atomizes the paint into very tiny droplets as it blows past a very fine paint-metering component. The paint is carried onto paper or other surface. The operator controls the amount of paint using a variable trigger which opens more or less a very fine tapered needle that is the control element of the paint-metering component. An extremely fine degree of atomization is what allows an artist to create such smooth blending effects using the airbrush.
Types of Airbrush
Trigger
The simplest airbrushes work with a single action mechanism where the depression of a single "trigger" results in paint and air flowing into the airbrush body and the atomized paint being expelled onto the target surface. Cheaper airbrushes and spray guns tend to be of this type.
Dual action or double action airbrushes separate the function for air and paint flow so that the user can control the volume of airflow and the concentration of paintflow through two independent mechanisms. This allows for greater control and a wider variety of artistic effects. This type of airbrush is more complicated in design than single action airbrushes which tends to be reflected in its cost.

Where do I get it
So now again where do you get it.. The same thing I had written above regarding the compressor. Same sources, depending on how deep your pockets are.
At Lohar Chawl, you will get 2 – 3 types of a local airbrush – Artmaster costing between 800 to 1200 rs. There are some Chinese ones which are available at various price ranges till 1200 rs.
Try to pick an internal mix and Dual Action airbrush.

3) Paints
Now this is something you will have to decide, in the previous articles have posted about the widely used types of paints.

But most of the paints have to be got from the various websites selling scale models.

In addition there is a Tamiya India, which generally sells Tamiya Acrylic paints in India and spray cans of paints.
I personally prefer Tamiya Enamel Paints and get it from Luckymodel.com. Various senior people pick various brands of paints, depending on their past experience and their preferences.
In addition, you could walk into an Auto paints shop and ask him to mix the shades you want, and take it with hardners and thinners. They are a tad expensive as compared to importing enamels/acrylics from modeling websites.

4) Mixing bottles
Now you can pick these up from various places, these are small plastic containers, with or without lids.
With lids will help you store paints, without them drying till you finish the model and maybe even further you can use them for some other model.
Now if you can’t find the containers. The next best things is plastic or thermocol small tea cups, available at any general stores.

5) Toothpicks
These can be used to mix paints, to get the desired shade/tone of shade, mix paint and thinners. Available at local general store.

6) Q Tips
These can be used to swab of excess paints of the model. Any Medical stores

7) Masking tapes
Now these are very important if you are into multi color camo. You can pick at any local paint shop. Or can pick up from any of the scale model selling websites. Tamiya India stocks the Tamiya Masking Tapes.
Indian Bison
Indian Bison
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them Empty Re: Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them

Post by divya1113 Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 am

Hello Indian Bison,

Thanks for such a great post. I'm in a need of cheap air compressor. Unfortunately, I can't visit mumbai any time soon. Can you provide me with the details (phone number) of few good air compressor dealers of Lohar Chawl. I want a high capacity air compressor (by high capacity I mean, with an air tank), which can provide me with 5-40 psi of air pressure.

I know you are quite busy and don't have much time to reply to my silly question, but I would be very greatfull if you can reply me with few details.

Thank you so much
Divya Parantap

divya1113
Scratch Build

Back to top Go down

Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them Empty Re: Equipment needed for Airbrushing and where to get them

Post by Indian Bison Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Divya,

The numbers and contact details are below

Talib & Brothers, Lohar Chawl
Mr Ismail
022 - 22060264, 22085181
Shop No 89, Chandabai Building, Lohar Chawl, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai, - 400002

He has all types of compressors.. Small/medium and big ones..

I use one which gives between 0 - 90 psi with a 30L tank.

He has a small one which is no noisy and has a small tank.. which should give you between 0 - 45/60 psi. Check that with him, its about 5k INR..

We modellers in India, have to make do with all the local stuff available and hence whenever someone asks us for directions for it, we make time to reply to it. So don't worry, you need anything ping me on this..

You can join the online forum as well...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/indianscalemodellers/

What kind of models do you make..

divya1113 wrote:Hello Indian Bison,

Thanks for such a great post. I'm in a need of cheap air compressor. Unfortunately, I can't visit mumbai any time soon. Can you provide me with the details (phone number) of few good air compressor dealers of Lohar Chawl. I want a high capacity air compressor (by high capacity I mean, with an air tank), which can provide me with 5-40 psi of air pressure.

I know you are quite busy and don't have much time to reply to my silly question, but I would be very greatfull if you can reply me with few details.

Thank you so much
Divya Parantap
Indian Bison
Indian Bison
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down